Product Design Engineer
Mobotrex has an opportunity for a Product Design Engineer who will be responsible for designs of traffic control equipment: specifically traffic cabinets and the associated electrical equipment inside the cabinet. The ideal candidate will have experience in 3D modeling with Creo Parametric and basic electrical circuit design, along with the ability to read electrical schematics. Experience in design of sheet metal parts using 3D modeling features is preferred. This job requires the ability to work closely with manufacturing on part design, to find the best design solutions which meet customer requirements and are within the manufacturing capability of the shop and suppliers. We are looking for individuals who are committed to quality, can recognize and focus on their “customers” both internal and external, solve problems and make improvements while communicating and interacting with a variety of people and departments.
- Create new product designs or integrate new features to legacy systems based on, industry specifications, customer specifications & specific requirements. Designs include 3D models, part detail drawings and layouts. Critical design criteria include design for manufacturing, assembly, maintenance, access and safety
- Design traffic cabinet sheet metal enclosures (primarily aluminum) to manufacturing capabilities and design practices. Knowledge of welding practices and design for welded assemblies. Experience in modeling for automated punch program software is a plus
- Design traffic terminal facilities, (integrating and selecting electrical components and cables, and completing component interconnects) and associated equipment including generating basic electrical schematics
- Create Bills of Material, routers and ECN’s for new products and sustaining efforts.
- Use of Windchill PLM for data management and automated workflow
- Update and maintain drawings, routers and bills of material for existing products.
- Evaluate and process Engineering Change Notices (driven by manufacturing, customers, purchasing, and design improvements). Support with existing ECN process. Complete all required documentation (BOM, Models, Drawings, routers, Inventory disposition). Manage and communicate change to manufacturing.
- Troubleshoot design issues (internal quality issues) in factory and work closely with shop floor personnel to resolve.
- Lead resolution of external quality issues primarily from customers
- Work with purchasing to specify and evaluate new products, or supplier changes
- Work with purchasing to support externally sourced assemblies including cables and circuit boards by providing design and technical support.
- Generate and maintain personal metrics on lead-time (including Sales orders, ECNs) quality escapes, cost and complexity reduction. Set goals for each metric and action plans to achieve. Maintain metrics for weekly review
- Create cost quotes, layouts and solutions for customer inquiries.
- Use of hand tools, and electrical instruments for troubleshooting circuits and PCB schematics
- Support sales team on customer issues, questions, new designs, and upgrades
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Prior experience with traffic systems, 3D modeling in Creo, MS Excel and other corporate ERP/MRP software systems is desired.
Education: B.S. in Mechanical Engineering required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 3-5 years design engineer experience preferred
- ProE/Creo, Windchill, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office
- Experience with 3D Modeling – in Creo
- Electrical wiring experience or minimally, some electrical system interconnect design experience
- Good teamwork skills, organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to present to a group of people (e.g. design review, release review)
- Ability to generate a project plan, update and achieve planned dates.
- Experience with automation of modeling to reduce product development lead-time.
- Experience with ERP/MRP systems for BOM maintenance and ECN Management
- Experience with PDM/PLM system, specifically Windchill
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing Tools for Office and shop floor
- Experience with Continuous Improvement Processes
- Extensive experience with Structured Problem Solving, 8D or similar methodology
- Experience with design to written specifications
Physical Demands and Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion, the employee may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
We are a growing company that needs employees who strive for excellence and understand that our ability to assist our customers, both internal and external, is a cornerstone to our continued growth and development. Mobotrex offers competitive pay, a full benefits package, and an enjoyable work environment.
MoboTrex, engineers, manufactures and sells a wide range of standard and custom traffic control products across America. We are headquartered in Davenport, Iowa and maintain operations in Austin, Texas; Chicago; Minneapolis; Springfield, Ill.; St. Louis, MO; and the Powhatan, VA area. We continue to expand our offerings of products and services to meet the demands of today and tomorrow. From pedestrian push buttons to Advanced Transportation Management Systems, MoboTrex has the expertise to provide the best mobility and traffic solutions for every customer, every day.
If you are interested in joining our team of experts, please access the following link for a complete job description and access to our application process: http://hiring.accolo.com:/job.htm?id=461668853
MoboTrex is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law. MoboTrex requires pre-employment drug testing and a background check. For more information, please visit Mobotrex.com.